Sunday, March 31, 2013

Magyar Ancestor

I have a completely unfounded and yet vivid view of my Hungarian ancestry.  This image captures some of that feeling.  He emerged on the paper, as did the cat.  If anything factual informed this face it was my recollection of my gentled fierce tempered Magyar grandfather.  Something of his humor and spirit (or how it affected me) show in this painting.  I don't recall him liking cats, though...

Watercolor and pencil - 21 x 15.5 inches.

Click the image for a larger view.

By the end of my life I would like to have smiled enough to have crow's feet like these.

4 comments:

susan said...

A magnificent image, Steve. Wrinkles like that take a lifetime of practice.

Karen A said...

Waaaaay ahead of you on the crow's feet, Steve. Dad always warned me of my impending droopy face, penalty for a lifetime of over-expressiveness. I'm going to look just like your guy here, minus the facial hair.

Odd Chick said...

I just nominated you for one of the mst interesting art blogs. I still love to visit here. I know you're like the rest of us and can't post as often as we would like but just wanted you to know even your old posts are fun to re-read. I don't know how your drawing can keep getting more and more sophisticated but it does- it continues to inspire me to work harder.

L'Adelaide said...

lovely painting, steve. it was good to come by for a visit today and see your latest work!